Pursuant to the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013
Batela Trading (Pty) Ltd t/a Batela South Africa (“Batela South Africa”, “Batela”, “we”, “us” or “our” as the context may require) is a retailer of Batela waterproof leisure jackets imported from Spain. Batela South Africa cares about how your personal information is used and is committed to respecting your privacy and helping protect your information.
What data do we collect?
Batela South Africa collects the following data:
- Personal identification information (name, email address, physical address and/or telephone number/s)
- Product preferences (categories, styles, colours and sizes)
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide Batela South Africa with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Complete the Contact form on our website, found at www.batela.co.za.
- Submit a query or request via Batela South Africa’s Electronic Facilities.
- Purchase a product from us.
- Enter into an agreement with us.
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies.
- Request us to contact you regarding your interest in our products, via a third party.
How will we use your data?
Batela South Africa collects your data so that it can inter alia:
- Assist you with your query or request.
- Contact you in response to your request or query.
- Process any online or direct order/s placed with us.
- Arrange delivery of products ordered.
- Process any return of products.
- Improve the quality of our services.
- Recover unpaid sums and/or any other amount due to us.
- Proceed with debt collection.
- Identify other products which may be of interest to you and informing you of such.
- Consider and/or process applications for re-seller or agency opportunities.
When Batela South Africa processes any applications for re-seller or agency opportunities, it reserves the right to send your data to credit bureaux for purposes of assessing your credit risk. Batela may base decisions on information obtained from credit bureaux.
In order to correctly handle any query or request, and to perform the abovementioned functions, Batela South Africa may from time to time share your data with its staff, which will only be done on a need-to-know basis; and with its operators including service providers and agents who perform services on behalf of Batela which will similarly be done on a need-toknow basis, and in terms of an agreement.
Conditions for Lawful Processing
In terms of section 5 of the POPI Act, a data subject has the right to have his, her or its personal information processed in accordance with the conditions for lawful processing. Batela South Africa would like to assure you of its commitment to processing personal information lawfully and particularly in accordance with the POPI Act. To this end, we wish to make sure that you are aware of the conditions for lawful processing,1 and have summarised them2 here:
- Accountability – Batela South Africa must ensure that the conditions set out below, and all the measures that give effect to such conditions, are complied with at the time of the determination of the purpose and means of the processing of personal information and during the processing itself.
- Processing Limitation – Personal information must be processed lawfully, and in a reasonable manner that does not infringe on your privacy as data subject. Personal information may only be processed if, given the purpose for which it is processed, is adequate, relevant and not excessive. Furthermore, personal information may only be processed if the data subject consents to the processing; processing is necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract to which the data subject is party; processing complies with an obligation imposed by law on Batela South Africa; processing protects a legitimate interest of yours; processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by a public body; or processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of Batela or of a third party to whom the information is supplied. The personal information must be collected directly from you, subject to certain exceptions.
- Purpose Specification – personal information must be collected for a specific, explicitly defined and lawful purpose related to a function or activity of Batela South Africa. The records of personal information must not be retained any longer than is necessary for achieving the purposes for which the information was collected or subsequently processed.
- Further Processing Limitation – further processing of personal information must be compatible with the purpose for which it was collected.
- Information Quality – Batela South Africa must take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information is complete, accurate, not misleading, and updated.
- Openness – Batela must maintain documentation of all processing operations under its responsibility. In this regard, please refer to the Manual available on our website www.batela.co.za.
- Security Safeguards – Batela must secure the integrity and confidentiality of personal information in our possession by taking reasonable measures to prevent loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of personal information, and unlawful access to or processing of personal information. To this end, please refer to the Security of Batela Services document on our website www.batela.co.za.
- Data Subject Participation – You have the right to request Batela South Africa to confirm whether or not it holds personal information about you and request the record or description of personal information held by Batela South Africa. You may request that we correct or delete inaccurate, excessive, misleading or unlawfully obtained information about you.
1 Clause 4 of the POPI Act.
3 For further information, refer to section 11 of the POPI Act.
4 For exceptions, refer to section 12(2) of the POPI Act.
5 For more information, refer to section 14 of the POPI Act.
How do we store your data?
Batela South Africa securely stores your data at 7 Drome Road, Formain, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, 2090.
The security measures that have been implemented by Batela South Africa are far-reaching, and include (but are not limited to):
- Physical Security
- Server security
- Restrictions on Access
- Security by design
- Security objectives established
- Guidelines published on how to achieve these objectives
- Adoption of an overall security management strategy
- Policies on key security mechanisms implemented in both everyday work and server security.
The totality of Batela South Africa’s security measures is demonstrated in our Security of Batela Services document available on our website www.batela.co.za.
Batela South Africa will keep your personal identification information, and product preferences until our services and/or communication is no longer required. The default position is to delete your personal data 180 days after either the expiry of your contract with Batela or your latest interaction with us via Batela South Africa’s Electronic Facilities. Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data by shredding and dumping any hard copies of data and destroying the applicable hard drives.
Otherwise, where you have provided data in any of the other circumstances listed under the abovementioned paragraph headed How will we use your data?, it will be deleted once our services and/or communication are no longer required. The data will be deleted in the same way as described above.
- Batela would like to send you information about services of ours that we think you may be interested in.
- If you have agreed to receive marketing, you can always opt out at a later date.
- You have the right at any time to stop Batela from contacting you for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, let us know via the optout feature found in the marketing communication, or via email.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our website, we will collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. For further information, visit https://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
- Keeping you signed in on the relevant portal, service, or programme.
- Understanding how you use our website.
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality – Batela uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising – Batela uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, devices, and your IP address. Batela reserves the right to share limited aspects of this data with third parties for advertising purposes. We reserve the right to share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners. This means that when you visit another website, you could be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Privacy policies of other websites
How to contact us
Telephone: +27 82 929 4943
Registered Post: 7 Drome Road, Formain, Lyndhurst, Gauteng, South Africa, 2090
Marked for the attention of Information Officer, Cherilyn Nielsen.
To lodge a complaint pertaining to alleged violations of protection of personal information, you are free to contact the Information Regulator:
Address: 33 Hoofd Street Forum III, 3rd Floor Braampark Braamfontein, Johannesburg 2017
Post: P.O. Box 31533 Braamfontein, Johannesburg 2017